Monday, March 3, 2008

Save the Date: first mentor meeting scheduled

I will be meeting my mentee this Wednesday and finally finding out more about her.

The expectation of ASCENT volunteers is for us to meet on the high school campus, where a certified faculty member will be present. However, it has happened in the past that mentor relationships have extended to involve the parents. At that point it would be up to the parents to give permission for an off-campus meeting.

For now, we will meet at the high school, but I hope our mentor/mentee relationship does expand to a friendship level and that I can serve more of an active role in her life. I would eventually like to bring her to the University campus, show her the amazing new student union building, have her shadow a student photographer (darkroom and all), introduce her to active and influential students/club members, set up a tour for us to go to the local newspaper press, and whatever else she'd like to see or do.

Sophomore year in high school can be a very special but vulnerable time in a person's life and I hope to help shape the mold of my mentee's future that will eventually reflect a successful student and accomplished person.

No comments: